What Goes Into The Expense of a Standard Funeral?
Many don’t realize how expensive funerals can be until they’re confronted with the costs at the last moment. This is a relatively complicated process involving several funeral home employees and services, which has a direct impact on costs. At Weber-Hurd Funeral Home, we have handled many funerals so we understand the expenses involved. Here’s a brief look at what to expect:
Basic funeral expenses
Funeral homes are allowed to charge a basic fee for their services. This fee should include the cost of common funeral services provided by most establishments. These basic services are:
- Funeral planning.
- Getting permits, licenses, notices, and copies of death certificates from local authorities.
- Sheltering the remains until the burial or cremation.
- Making arrangements with the cemetery or crematory.
All funeral homes will provide this basic service and include the expense in their fee. It’s a good idea to discuss exemptions or check for hidden costs before hiring.
Optional goods and services
The funeral home will arrange for certain goods and services on your behalf if you require them. Cost of services mentioned below is sometimes included in basic fees but most funeral homes will charge additional money. These services are:
- Transporting the remains to the funeral home, cemetery, or crematory.
- Embalming the deceased individual and other such preparation.
- Hearse or limousine service.
- Casket, urns, or alternative containers for remains.
- Funeral ceremony, memorial service, visitation, or graveside service.
This includes payments for goods and services the funeral home needs to buy from third-party vendors. Things like flowers, pallbearers, clergy or celebrant, musicians, etc, will cost additional money.
If you want to know more about funeral services and other details, don’t hesitate to call us at Weber-Hurd Funeral Home. We’ll be happy to help.
"Principles of the Past, Choices for Today"
Our funeral homes proudly serve the following communities: Peoria, East Peoria, Chillicothe, North Hampton, Rome, Mossville, Alta, Lawn Ridge, Edelstein, West Hallock, Akron,
Dunlap, Hopewell, Sparland, Lacon, Spring Bay, Oak Ridge, Metamora, Bartonville, Hanna City, Peoria Heights, Kickapoo, Glasford, Pekin and Morton Illnois