Managing Social Media Accounts After a Loved One Has Passed Away
It is more than likely that your loved one was active on many social media platforms, especially with the online presence we all hold in today’s society. There are ways in which you can manage these accounts by either deactivating them so they are no longer visible or active online, or by memorializing them to an account that pays a tribute to your loved one and is still visible for friends and family.
Here is some step by step instructions for how you can go about these next steps for social media accounts:
- Click the account menu at the top right
- Select “Settings”
- Click “Security” in the left column
- Choose “Deactivate Account” – then follow the steps to confirm
Memorialize: You have to have proof of death for the account holder (Death Certificate) – and submit a request to Facebook.
- Go to the – Delete your Account page (Link brings you directly to this page)
- You must log in to continue with the deletion of the account
- Select an option from the drop-down menu for the reason of deletion
- Re-enter your password
- Click “Permanently Delete Account”
- Go to account settings & click on “Deactivate account” at the bottom of the page
- Read over the deactivation information and click “okay”
- Enter the password when prompted to verify the deactivation
- Log into your loved one’s LinkedIn account
- Put the cursor over the profile picture in the top right corner
- Go down and click on “Privacy and Settings”
- Re-enter the password if required and click “Account” on the left
- Click “Close Account”
- Confirm deletion of account
Considering the impact social media has on our lives today memorializing an account is a nice way to keep the memory of a loved one alive. Although, not all social media platforms have this option so saving all the photos and other information you would like to keep, is suggested before deactivating accounts.
"Principles of the Past, Choices for Today"
Our funeral homes proudly serve the following communities: Peoria, East Peoria, Chillicothe, North Hampton, Rome, Mossville, Alta, Lawn Ridge, Edelstein, West Hallock, Akron,
Dunlap, Hopewell, Sparland, Lacon, Spring Bay, Oak Ridge, Metamora, Bartonville, Hanna City, Peoria Heights, Kickapoo, Glasford, Pekin and Morton Illnois